Today I am starting a short series on natural homemaking.
Our garden is still in hibernation (though I did plant corn this past weekend) and I usually try to post something garden-related on Thursdays. So, for the next month while the garden is inactive, I’m going to post something about how to approach homemaking in a more natural way each Thursday.
Today’s post is a recipe for a grapefruit scented all-purpose cleaner.
While I’m not a fan of eating grapefruit, I do enjoy smelling it. Until recently, my go-to has been the Method brand and their pink grapefruit scented cleaner – http://amzn.to/12SvGvP . It seems to be a great product – naturally derived (whatever that means), non-toxic, not tested on animals, etc. However, I knew that I could do the same thing more naturally and certainly cheaper.
Here’s what I did…..
1. Cut two pink grapefruits in half. Juice them – http://amzn.to/16UVqEX and save the juice for something else. Then separate the left over pulp from the peel (pretty easy to do with a paring knife).
2. Cut the peel into thin slices and put in a quart sized mason jar – http://amzn.to/1c0sQsG . Fill jar with white vinegar. Let this mixture steep for a week or more.
3. After it is done steeping, remove peels and compost them. Strain vinegar into a spray bottle.
4. Add 6-10 drops of grapefruit essential oil – http://amzn.to/19Gt864 . ** I got mine from Bridget – http://www.essentialoils4you.com/Arnold/ .
5. Mix one part citrus vinegar with one part water in a spray bottle.
There you have it! It is truly as easy and natural as that! If you give it a try, let me know what you think.
** I am relatively new on the essential oil scene. I don’t know a lot about them but am very interested in learning more. Thanks to the wonders of the internet and social media, I recently met Bridget Arnold. She sells the amazing doTerra brand and I was able to sample some. I’m sold. They are amazing and Bridget is a wealth of knowledge. Check out her site – http://www.essentialoils4you.com/Arnold/ (where you can learn a lot about all the essential oils, as well as buy them) and like her on facebook – https://www.facebook.com/HealingAtHome . She has a ton of great information to share.
Books on Natural Cleaning:
Shared on Girl Meets Nourishment – Unprocessed Fridays – http://girlmeetsnourishment.com/gmnwordpress1/unprocessed-fridays-9/
Standard, legally required, Endorsement Disclosure: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.