We are a big fan of lip balm around here.
I use it. My husband uses it (though, as you will see, this recipe is not for my husband) and the girls love to put it on, too.
However, with all the unknown ingredients flying around out there and the cost of EVERYTHING steadily rising, I decided to take a stab at making it myself. It was fun, easy and incredibly customizable. I’m sold. Check out my recipe below.
Homemade Lip Balm – with Tint
2 tbsp beeswax (I used this – http://amzn.to/13ucXoJ .)
2 tbsp coconut oil – http://amzn.to/11ahf4g
1/4-1/2 tsp vanilla extract – http://amzn.to/12NncWR
beet root powder – http://amzn.to/1aLmHxn or a chunk of your own favorite lip color
small containers (I used these – http://amzn.to/12nYgxV .)
1. Put beeswax and coconut oil in a double boiler – http://amzn.to/18eByAZ (or if you are lame like me and don’t have a double boiler, a glass measuring cup over water in a pan works just fine, too). Let it melt as the water boils. Stir frequently.
2. Once the beeswax is melted, add the vanilla extract and lip color/beet root powder. Stir. If using lipstick, wait for it to melt completely.
3. Pour into containers and allow to cool completely.
Couple of things I learned:
– Use more lip color than you think will be necessary. I’ve heard great things about using beet root powder and definitely want to try it next time.
– The color of the beeswax will affect the resulting color of your lip color – keep that in mind.
– If you want to have a softer balm, use less beeswax. I live in Arizona… it is hot. I don’t mind if it starts out a little firmer, but you might want it to be softer – again, so customizable!
If you try it, let me know what you think.
Standard, legally required, Endorsement Disclosure: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.