Does that word even exist anymore?
With three small children, I seem to fall into bed each night without much regard for “relaxing,” per-say, which is one reason I came up with this nifty little salve.
You see, I’m a routine person. I set up a routine and I generally stick to it. So, in an effort to relax and calm down each night before bed, I’ve started applying this salve to my elbows, knees and heels. Not only does it moisturize these rough areas of my body, but it also gives off the heavenly, relaxing scent of lavender (and a touch of coconut). I’ve found that it really helps my mind shut off and my body relax. I swear I’m falling asleep easier.
I’m in love with it. Check out the recipe and directions below. (It’s also really, really easy. I promise!)
4 ounces coconut oil ( Here’s – http://amzn.to/11ahf4g what I often buy.)
.75 ounces beeswax – http://amzn.to/1doNzH4
8-12 drops lavender essential oil – http://amzn.to/19Y6Ca2
2 – 2 ounce containers ( These – http://amzn.to/1fhYjCN would work well.)
1. In a double boiler – http://amzn.to/14CfHkr , melt the beeswax.
2. Add the coconut oil and heat them both together until your mixture is completely liquid.
3. Add your essential oils. (I say 8-12 drops because some people like more scent than others. I’m usually pretty sensitive to smells so I used about 10 drops. You get the scent of lavender but can still smell the coconut-y-ness of the oil.)
4. Pour into containers. I reused some old baby food jars. Let it cool completely and you’re done!
**** Some Notes *****
– The consistency of this salve is very customizable. Generally you want one part beeswax to anywhere from 3 to 5 parts oil. More oil and it will be softer, more beeswax and it will be harder.
– You can use the same mixture but with different essential oils to create a product that serves other purposes. For instance, use peppermint oil – http://amzn.to/147iBtN instead of lavender to relieve tired, sore muscles. Add eucalyptus oil – http://amzn.to/12JDv4J as a homemade Vicks to relieve congestion.
– It you add zinc oxide – http://amzn.to/12JDm0Z to the mixture, you’ll get a salve that has sun blocking properties.
Standard, legally required, Endorsement Disclosure: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.