You all know that I try to make as much of our food from scratch, with natural, wholesome ingredients, as I can. During the holiday season this can be difficult (especially when you add a newborn into the equation!). Time is short, schedules are busy, guests are visiting and things fall through the cracks. However, I’m determined to keep up with our healthy eating habits during this holiday season.
That’s why I created this recipe for a Savory Breakfast Braid – hopefully you’ll find it useful too. It is filled with a delicious blend of breakfast ingredients including: smoked gouda cheese – http://ooh.li/0768995 , eggs, spinach, and caramelized onions and the crust is made with whole wheat flour.
My recipe was inspired by delicious Arla Dofino Smoked Gouda Cheese – http://ooh.li/0768995 . (Click here for a $1.00 off coupon for any Arla Dofino cheese!) I appreciate that Arla Dofino cheeses are free of added hormones and preservatives. Smoked gouda is my husband’s favorite cheese. We bought several blocks of cheese to make an appetizer plate on Thanksgiving and we were left with some smoked gouda so I wanted to make a special breakfast the next day and thus the Savory Breakfast Braid was born.
The great thing about this recipe is that it makes a pretty large portion, which can be used to entertain a number of guests for breakfast or it can be wrapped in individual portions and reheated in the oven for a week’s worth of healthy, delicious and easy breakfasts.
Savory Breakfast Braid
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 6 eggs
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1-2 cups packed spinach
- 1-2 cups smoked gouda cheese – http://ooh.li/0768995 , shredded (click here – http://ooh.li/0768995 for a $1.00 off coupon)
- 1 egg
- salt, to taste
Make the Dough
1. Pour the warm water into a large bowl, mix in the sugar and sprinkle the yeast on top of the water/sugar mixture. Leave to sit for 10 minutes (this allows the yeast to proof).
2. Once the yeast has proofed, mix in the remaining ingredients (save 1/2 cup of flour) until you have a shaggy dough.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Incorporate the remaining half cup of flour until the dough is no longer sticky.
4. Place in a well oiled bowl, in a warm spot, to rise for 30 minutes.
Make the Filling
1. Slice the onions into thin slices.
2. Melt 1 tbsp butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
3. Turn the heat up slightly and add onion to the pan.
4. Let cook, stirring every so often until the onions turn dark brown. Sprinkle with the sugar so that they caramelize.
5. Add spinach and stir gently until wilted.
6. Scoop veggies into a separate bowl and set aside.
7. Melt remaining tbsp of butter in the pan and add eggs. Salt to taste.
8. Cook eggs until almost done. Add veggies to the egg and stir gently. (Eggs should not be completely cooked, as they will finish cooking in the oven.)
1. Roll dough out into a (roughly) 12×15 rectangle on a lightly floured surface or on parchment paper, if you have it.
2. Place veggie/egg mixture down the center of the dough.
3. Sprinkle with shredded smoked gouda cheese – http://ooh.li/0768995 .
4. Using a pizza cutter, slice 1 inch strips in the side of the dough (see picture above).
5. “Braid” the dough by placing the strips one on top of the other.
6. Transfer completed braid to a cookie sheet and brush with lightly beaten egg.
7. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Slice and serve warm.
My husband and I really enjoy this dish. It is also highly customizable! I make an egg and cheese one for the kids and they love it.
Want some good news?! In addition to sharing this delicious recipe, I’m also working with Arla Dofino – http://ooh.li/0768995 to giveaway a Happy Havarti Holidays Breakfast Prize Pack – http://ooh.li/4298bbe . Keep reading to learn more.
In case you were wondering, Arla Dofino is available in a variety of retail stores nationwide. Find Arla Dofino in the deli section (not the dairy section) of most stores. And if you haven’t yet, click here to print out your $1.00 off coupon!
Happy Havarti Holidays Breakfast Prize Pack Giveaway
I’m so excited to bring you this giveaway! We’re giving away:
- Crate & Barrel mixing bowl
- Anthropologie whisk
- Crate & Barrel cheese grater
- A coupon for one free Arla Dofino product
- Set of Arla Dofino recipe cards
Here’s how to enter:
- Visit the Happy Havarti Holidays Breakfast Prize Pack Giveaway Pinterest Page and follow all the boards.
- Go to the Happy Havarti Holidays board and select your favorite breakfast recipe.
- Copy the link to the recipe and paste it into the comments section below. Let me know why you picked this recipe.
- Record your entries in the rafflecopter widget below.
Winner will be chosen through rafflecopter using random.org on December 17th. Winner will be notified via email and have 24 hours to respond. Giveaway open to US residents only. Prize will be shipped directly to winner by Arla Dofino.
a Rafflecopter giveaway – http://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/display/948fac7e16/
Today’s post is sponsored by Arla Dofino, but the recipe and my love for their naturally delicious cheese is all my own!
Standard, legally required, Endorsement Disclosure: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.