Man. I must really be into breakfast lately. My last post was all about breakfast and now this.
I guess since my last post was savory, it makes sense that this one is sweet.
My family loves sweet rolls. I usually make them for special occasions. Before I got into cooking from scratch and reading labels, I used to make those awful cinnamon rolls that come in a can in the dairy section. You know – the ones where you “pop” open the can. However, now that I’ve wised up and have started focusing on real food and cooking from scratch, I’ve come up with several delicious recipes for homemade sweet rolls. These pecan caramel sticky buns are just one example.
Pecan Caramel Sticky Buns
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 1/2-4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chopped pecans
1. In a large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm milk and sprinkle yeast on top. Allow to proof for 5-10 minutes.
2. Add butter, salt and 1-1/4 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a lightly greased bowl.
4. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
5. In a small bowl, mix the butter, sugar and cinnamon for the filling,
6. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spread the butter mixture over the dough to within 1/2 in. of edges.
7. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 slices.
8. Combine brown sugar and cream; pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with pecans. Place rolls cut side down over pecans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
9. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until well browned. Cool for 1 minute before inverting onto a serving platter.
Standard, legally required, Endorsement Disclosure: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.