Who doesn’t like a good cracker?
I will admit. A store bought cracker can be pretty delicious. However, they are generally highly processed and include all sorts of yucky ingredients that I wouldn’t want to eat. That said, I’ve been testing out cracker recipes (and using my new magimix food processor – http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/magimix-5200xl-16-cup-food-processor/ to do it).
This recipe for parmesan-oregano homemade crackers was pretty delicious.
Homemade Crackers – Parmesan Oregano
Adapted from the “Seeded Crackers” recipe in Better from Scratch – http://amzn.to/1rmHmAT
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tbsp dried oregano
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp vegetable shortening ( I use this – http://amzn.to/1vf2hoU – not hydrogenated)
2 tbsp salted butter
1/2 cup + heavy cream
1. In a food processor, combine flour, sugar salt, pepper, oregano and parmesan cheese. Pulse to combine.
2. Add shortening and butter. Blend until you get coarse crumbles.
3. Pour in cream and blend until the dough comes together. (At this stage, you might realize that you need more cream. Drizzle in cream until the dough comes together in a mass.)
4. Scrape dough out onto plastic wrap and roll up. Let sit at room temperature for 20-ish minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 350.
6. Unwrap dough and cut in half. Roll out one half as thin as you can without breaking it. Place sheet of rolled out dough on cookie sheet. Roll out second and do the same on a second cookie sheet.
7. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired.
8. Bake sheets of cracker for 15 minutes + until they are slightly brown and crisp. Let cool and break apart into desired shape and size.
Standard, legally required, Endorsement Disclosure: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.