I’m a sucker for sweets – all kinds and any time of day.
Back in my *ahem* less healthy days, a trip to Dunkin’ Donuts was certainly not unheard of. However, donuts have been off my list of edible foods for quite some time and I must admit, I miss them.
So when I recently had a little left over money on a gift card, I decided to pick up a donut pan with the intention of creating a healthier donut recipe. And by golly….. I think I may have done it!
(Note – I realize that these aren’t “healthy.” I’m just calling them “healthier.” Humor me and read on.)
Whole Wheat Lemon Pound Cake Donut Recipe
1/2 c melted butter
1/4 c sour cream
3/4 c sugar
1/4 100% lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 lemon juice
3/4+ powdered sugar
1. Whip together butter, sour cream, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
2. Add lemon juice and beat in.
3. Adding one at a time, beat in eggs.
4. Add dry ingredients and beat until smooth.
5. Pour into greased donut pan. (I was able to make 12 donuts with this recipe.)
6. Bake at 325 for 15 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, make glaze but combining the lemon juice and powdered sugar. (Add more powdered sugar for a thicker glaze and less to make a thinner glaze.)
8. Let donuts cool and then drizzle with glaze.
Pretty easy donut recipe, right? And with the inclusion of whole wheat flour, lack of frying and the light amount of glaze drizzled on top, these donuts are much better for you than your run-of-the-mill donut.
Give this donut recipe a try and let me know what you think!