One of my favorite essential oils to have on hand, lavender is a not only a beautiful scent, it is also a very powerful oil and whole herb. Below I outline my top 10 uses for lavender but I’m sure there are many more ways that lavender can be used effectively. (I’d love to hear how YOU use it in the comments!)
According to a company that I trust, Mountain Rose Herbs – http://edge.affiliateshop.com/public/AIDLink?AID=133322&Redirect=/lavender-essential-oil/profile , lavender has “analgesic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antiseptic, antispasmodic, aromatic, carminative, cholagogue, deodorant, diuretic, emmenagogue, insecticide, nervine, sedative, stimulant, stomachic, and vulnerary” properties. (Trying saying THAT five times fast!) Wow. That’s a lot. If that overwhelms you and you just want to know my top 10 uses for lavender, read on.
My Top 10 Uses for Lavender
1. Deodorize – As I mentioned above, lavender is a beautiful scent. You can use it in potpourri or sachets. You can spritz the essential oil (mixed with a carrier) in a room and leave it smelling subtly scented.
2. Burns – When applied directly to a burn or mixed with a carrier and then applied, lavender may help alleviate the pain, swelling and redness of a burn.
3. Relaxing – Whether defused in a room, applied in a lotion or smelled directly from the bottle, lavender is said to have calming and anti-anxiety properties.
4. Baking – Believe it or not, using lavender flowers in baking (especially in something like lemon bars) can lead to a delicious result.
5. Moth Repellant – I’ve read that lavender sachets placed in closets will keep moths away from delicate clothing.
6. Cleaning – When mixed with vinegar, lavender can add a boost of cleaning power due to its antimicrobial properties.
7. Insect Bites – Applied to an insect bite, lavender may take the sting out, relieve itching and reduce inflammation associated with an insect bite or sting.
8. Fabric Softener – Mix a few drop with vinegar and use in place of fabric softener!
9. Acne – If you suffer from blemishes, you may find that, due to the antiseptic properties of lavender, it will help improve and heal pimples and acne.
10. Headaches – Lavender has mild analgesic properties and therefore may be effective in combating pain associated with headache if applied directly to one’s temples.
Want to buy lavender oil or the whole herb?
You can buy the oil here – http://amzn.to/1b0K7Cf (from Amazon) or here – http://edge.affiliateshop.com/public/AIDLink?AID=133322&Redirect=/aroma/f-l.php (from Mountain Rose Herbs)
You can by the whole herb here – http://amzn.to/1e2iUJG (from Amazon) or here – http://edge.affiliateshop.com/public/AIDLink?AID=133322&Redirect=/bulkherb/l.php (from Mountain Rose Herbs)
Want to learn even more about lavender and its uses?
If my top 10 uses for lavender wasn’t enough for you – check out this post from one of my favorites Wellness Mama – http://wellnessmama.com/7041/herb-profile-lavender/ or this post from a new favorite blog of mine Whole Simple Life – http://www.wholesimplelife.com/essential-oil-basics-lavender-essential-oil-uses/ .
Standard, legally required, Endorsement Disclosure: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.