Baking soda. Sodium bicarbonate. Call it what you will. It is a useful little powder in many ways.
Most of you are probably (very) familiar with baking soda in your pantry. It is commonly used in baked goods. But are you familiar with all of its other uses? Read on to discover my top 8 uses for baking soda. (Some of them might surprise you.)
1. Cleaning – Baking soda, when mixed with a small amount of water, can be a great, natural, way to scrub off grime. Not too long ago I posted a recipe for a homemade soft scrub and the main ingredient is baking soda. I’ve also used it to absorb urine out of my daughters mattress when she had a nighttime accident. Worked like a charm.
2. Omlettes – Did you know adding baking soda to your eggs will result in a fluffier omelet? Add just a little less than a 1/2 tsp to three eggs and you’ll see the results.
3. Making Pretzels – Adding baking soda to the water that you boil your pretzels in will make them fluffier and puffier. (Check this tip out in action in my sourdough soft pretzel post.)
4. Toothpaste – Either made at home or bought in the store – toothpaste with baking soda claims to leave your teeth whiter and with less plaque.
5. Deodorize – This is one you are probably familiar with. Baking soda is a great deodorizer – an open box in the fridge, sprinkled in the litter box or used in homemade deodorant. You can’t deny that baking soda can get the stink out.
6. Insect Bites and Itchy Skin – Mixed with a tiny bit of water to form a paste, baking soda can cut the itch of an insect bite or the sting of a bee.
7. Extinguish Fires – Good to have in the kitchen next to the stove, baking soda will put out a grease or electrical fire if it is thrown over the fire.
8. Clear Drains – Mix baking soda and vinegar. Pour the mixture down your drain. This will often help clear a clogged drain.
What have I missed? What are your top uses for baking soda?
Standard, legally required, Endorsement Disclosure: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.