This recipe for sourdough english muffins is part of the Pantry Revamp series here on Five Little Homesteaders. To read more about it, check out the first post here. To read all the posts in the series, click the “pantry revamp” label to the right.
Last week I posted about making sourdough bread and now I have this starter in my fridge and I’m trying to figure out all kinds of way to start using it. My new favorite way to use it is by making english muffins.
1 cup sourdough starter – http://amzn.to/13LXTl3
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour – http://amzn.to/14n7f5t
3/4 cup whole milk
3/4 cup all purpose flour – http://amzn.to/14n7f5t
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tbsp honey
1. Mix all the ingredients for the sponge. Let sit overnight.
2. In the morning, add all of the ingredients for the dough to the sponge. Mix it well in the bowl, then dump it onto a floured surface and knead until all ingredients are combined and you have a soft dough.
3. Roll the dough out until it is about 1/2 inch thick.
4. Cut out circles. I don’t have a fancy-schmancy biscuit cutter – http://amzn.to/16vUsze , but if you do, use it. I just used a glass.
5. Place the muffins on a cookie sheet and let rise in the oven with the oven light on for 45 minutes. (The oven light will create just enough heat to give you a good rise.)
6. Meanwhile, heat your griddle. I have one that has temperature controls and I heat it to 350 degrees. ( This – http://amzn.to/14S0laR is the one I have.)
7. I slather a little butter on the griddle just at first and then cook the muffins. You cook them up just like you would pancakes.
8. Enjoy them while they’re hot! Honestly, one of the most delicious things I’ve had recently. You will NOT be disappointed.
Homestead Barn Hop – http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2013/06/homestead-barn-hop-116.html
Homeacre Hop – http://blackfoxhomestead.com/uncategorized/the-homeacre-hop-25/
Frugally Sustainable – http://frugallysustainable.com/2013/06/frugal-days-sustainable-ways-78/
From the Farm Blog Hop – http://thismindbeinyou.com/2013/06/from-the-farm-blog-hop-39.html
Backyard Farming Connection – http://www.backyardfarmingconnection.com/2013/07/the-backyard-farming-connection-hop-39.html
Books on the Topic:
Standard, legally required, Endorsement Disclosure: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.